Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year Resolution - Stretching Exercises

The new year is here. The time of the year when we are bound to make resolutions about food and exercise. Most of us lead sedentary lives compare to even about 20 years ago. The result of this kind of inactivity shows up in the aches, pain and stiff muscles most of us experience.





I am big time WETA - our local public television station watcher. When they have their fund drives they have these shows on health, financial well being etc., I woke up early on a Saturday morning but not wanting to get up right away, I turned on the TV (what else?). It was another one of those fund raising days. What caught my attention first was the program was called "Aging Backwards". As I watched along I was impressed by the some of the gentle stretching exercises that even older people were participating in and how flexible they looked. For some time now I have been wanting to start doing some stretching exercises so this seemed like the right thing for me at the right time.

Stretching exercises are not strenuous and do not require any special equipment, skill or even a gym. You can pretty much do it anywhere. There are numerous benefits associated with stretching which does not need repeating but I will anyway.
  1. Decreases muscle stiffness.
  2. Increase in range of motion.
  3. Improves posture.
  4. Helps manage stress.
  5. Prepares the body for exercise.
  6. Helps reduce back pain.


Most of us know a few stretches which we perhaps do to relieve aches and sprains but I was looking for a bit more, targeting all leg, hand, neck and back muscles. That is where the above mentioned program comes in. The program was presented by Miranda Esmonde-White. She had developed a range of stretching programs that starts from people who want to relieve stress, relieve aches and pain and improve flexibility. I went ahead and bought a DVD so I can play it and watch and stretch.

I was a bit afraid that I will buy the DVD and like a lot of things will be laying around untouched. Surprise Surprise I actually opened the DVD and have been doing the stretches for almost a month now. Miranda is a great teacher and she walks through the exercises slowly and deliberately.

Stretching is something that people of all ages should consider doing regularly. I decided to make a post about it because it has definitely decreased my stiffness in the muscles. If you are considering adding more exercises but afraid of time commitment and effort look no further. Taking part in these gentle stretches is guaranteed to make you feel better and improve flexibility. Take it slow in the beginning as your body adapts to it. Your body will thank you for it ;)




The setup I have is a comfortable place where I can lay down with a TV in front so I can follow along. A yoga mat will help but I make do with my carpeted room.

Wishing you a Very Happy and Peaceful New Year!

What are your exercise plans for the new year?

Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Indo...that's a good resolution..do share some of the exercises if you get time..and your setup looks great to inspire..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAppy NEw Year dear!! Yes do share some exercise when time permits....I've also been thinking about doing same but still lazy.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice, I have found the stretching exercises from Aging Backwards series to be the ones I can do without too much effort. It has helped me for sure.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.