Monday, November 3, 2014

How to make Chicken Stock?

Remember dear reader K who introduced us all to Freekeh ? As we were discussing the soup recipe she had sent with Freekeh she mentioned making chicken stock at home. I was curious for the recipe and she promised to send it to me when she makes it again. As promised, here is her method of how to make home made chicken stock. Just looking at the the pictures makes me want to make some soup.

Soup is not my favorite kind of meal mostly but when it is cold and windy there is nothing better to warm you up then a bowl of hot steaming soup and nothing I bet can top one made with home made fresh chicken stock. I agree that chicken stock is readily available in stores and it is easy to pick up a carton than slave over a pot for hours. But every time I pick that carton I know I am picking up something that is loaded with salt and preservatives.

I have made fresh vegetable stock but have never tried making fresh chicken stock but I soon will armed with this recipe. It perhaps is worth the effort on a lazy weekend day to make a few liters of chicken stock and I know chicken stock freezes beautifully.



Take the chicken bones from 5 roasted baby chickens. Add chopped carrot, celery sticks, chopped onions, garlic cloves, peppercorns ...
Add parsley stalks, add 3 liters (13 cups) of water, bring to a boil (after simmering for 3hrs)
After 5 hours of simmering, mash the vegetables into the pot and strain.



How to make Chicken Stock
Cooking Time:5-7 hours
Ingredients
  1. Bones from roasted/cooked chicken (in this recipe from about 5 baby chickens)
  2. 1 onion chopped
  3. 4 sticks of celery chopped
  4. 1 carrot peeled and chopped
  5. 4 big fat garlic cloves
  6. parsley stalks
  7. pepper corns (as per taste)

Method
  1. Add all the ingredients in a heavy bottomed wide mouthed stock pot.
  2. Add about 3 liters of water (13 cups) and bring to a boil.
  3. Simmer for about 4-5 hours.
  4. Mash the vegetables into pot and strain using a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth.
  5. Note: Unused stock can be easily frozen.

Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.