Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Grain of the Week - 13 - Chia Seeds

I have been hearing and seeing a lot of recipes with Chia seeds. That is the beauty of this series. Gives me the opportunity to try these new grains and seeds. The first thing I am going to try is to make some pudding.



Chia seeds was the staple of the Mayans and Aztecs. High in fiber and gluten free today it is considered a super food good for athletes. Chia seeds are also used as a replacement for eggs as its texture becomes gel like when water is added. Source.



It is also a natural thickener and can be used to thicken jams and jellies without adding pectin. I am looking forward to trying smoothies with chia seeds.
Any interesting recipes with chia, please share in the comment section.

I got a very good suggestion from a comment(Spice) to indicate where I buy the grains I highlight here.

Where Bought?: Whole Foods

Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

2 comments:

  1. Chia is on my "to try list".....would like to see your experiment with it......Do u think u can also add the store/website from where you find/buy the new grains you are trying, I guess it will be helpful for anyone(USA readers) who wants to try it......just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spice, that is indeed a great idea. Will do so.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.