Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shrimp Fried Rice with Indian Pickles( or chilli paste) and No Soy Sauce

I once saw Sanjeev Kapoor on Rachel Ray's morning cooking(talk) show. I usually have the TV blaring in the background and occasionally catch a sound bit or two. My ears perked up when I heard the tomato pickle, shrimp and fried rice all in one sentence. It has been a while but all I remember is the pickle and fried rice. Following that idea and using tomato pickle as the flavoring agent and a few other ingredients a very flavorful fried rice was ready in no time.



For those familiar with using pressure cooker to make rice, I left the heat on high and forgot to put the weight and when I realized most of the water had evaporated. I put the weight on and finished cooking the rice but an unexpected side effect each grain was separate and perfect for fried rice. I had also bought a new brand of rice, some brands make more rice when cooked compared with others. Don't ask me why but that is how it works. The next day I had a lot of leftover white rice and some fancy tomato pickles made from raw tomatoes.

If you do not have tomato thokku pickle on hand I figure any pickle would work or just substitute with any red chili paste you have on hand. This way I can also avoid using soy sauce.




Shrimp Fried Rice with Indian Pickles( or chili paste) and No Soy Sauce
Ingredients
1. 2 -3 cups of a day old refrigerated rice
2. 16 Shrimp medium sized
3. 1/2 -1 cup of sliced red onions
4. 4-5 garlic cloves minced
5. 2 tsp ginger grated (optional)
6. 1/2 cup of peas (fresh or frozen)
7. 1/2 cup of corn (fresh or frozen, if fresh roast first and then remove kernels)
8. 2 tsp of chili powder (if needed)
9. salt to taste
10. 2 tbsp of tomato pickle (recipes listed below)
11. 3 tsp of oil
12. 2 tsp of oil

Method
1. Wash and marinate the shrimp with a tsp of chili powder and salt (about 15-30 minutes).
2. In a wide mouthed pan or wok heat 1 tsp of oil and add the onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Add in the ginger and garlic and saute for another minute.
3. Now add the peas and corn and let them cook for 5-6 minutes. Add in half the tomato pickle and mix it in well. Set aside.
4. In the meantime add in the rest of the pickle to the rice mix it well.
5. In the same pan heat the rest of the oil and cook the shrimp till it is just done.
6. Now add the rice and check for salt and add some salt if required.
7. Let it stay in the heat till the rice is heated through.



3 comments:

  1. The very sound of this is making me drool. I love shrimp any which way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried rice looks yummy and definitely spicy..Love the way you prepared with tomato pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to know more about what Sanjeev Kapoor did on the show!
    Older rice absorbs more water and swells up more. It is amazind how much aged basmati rice will swell as compared to new basmati! In contrast, brown rice increases less in size and is more filling for the same cooked quantity.
    The shrimp rice is looking great. Do you think the recipe will work with dried shrimp too? I don't have the fresh kind but I have a bunch of dried ones that ought to be used up soon. Great idea with the tomato pickle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.