Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sauted Maine shrimp, Indian style

What do you do when a friend who lives in New England offers to ship you some Maine shrimp? Having no idea what they are I politely decline thinking in my mind "how different could these be anyway". It was daunting task to get my friend to back off so I let things take their course. The shrimp arrived in the middle of the snow storm. With plenty of time on hand and no where to go, it was perfect timing.

I had no idea the shrimp season was a short six weeks, though it was extended this year. Anyway those shrimp were soft, sweet and tasty and a lot different in taste than the shrimp we are used to. The shrimp had shell with whiskers which had to be removed but no veins to devein.







For a seafood-shrimp loving family this was a treat indeed. To preserve the delicate taste just a simple masala seemed the right thing to do. Regular shrimp will work very well for this recipe.


Ingredients
1. 2 Cups of peeled shrimp
2. 1 cup shallots chopped
3. 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped or 2 tbsp tomato paste
4. 4 garlic cloves chopped
5. 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
6. 1/2 tbsp chili powder
7. 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
8. handful curry leaves
9. salt to taste
10. 1 tsp of oil
11. seasonings : cumin seeds

Method
1. In a pan heat oil and add the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Now add the onions, ginger and garlic and saute till they are nice and brown.
2. Add the tomatoes and salt and let them cook till they are soft.
3. Make sure all the moisture is absorbed before the shrimp are added (the shrimp need to be only cooked for a few minutes)
4. Now add the shrimp and mix so they are coated well. Add the lemon juice and mix it in. Cook them for 3-4 minutes.


Serve over rice.


Curious who the friend was? Well none other than our friend who blogs over here.

14 comments:

  1. Now I know why sometimes people add whole shrimps to dishes ( on the tv ) ... there are no-vein varieties as well. How great! Shrimps are a fav ... quick to make. Would love to try your recipe sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you ar ehappy that your friend didn't zgee to you declinging those delicious shrimps, i wish i could have thatbowl just to myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maine shrimp as indianized version looks fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious - it comes in a temp-controlled box via airmail? How nice of her to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly how we make it at home too. The curry leaves makes it extra tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrimp shipping? Maine or Cape cod has really good fish I have heard.

    Shrimp looks vibrant red..I can try it with aloo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm, yumm, yumm. How sweet of Linda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you :)

    Tomatoes are in, lets see when they come out. I thought it must be Linda, hope she is alright with the move. I havent seen her updating the blog for a while now..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm drooling after seeing your post on shrimp!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..your friend shipped this to you...kewl kewl...and the dish looks fabulous too :-)
    How I wish I could share some muffins with your lil princess..hugs to her

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love shrimps and this is exactly amma makes it. I love mixing it up with hot rice or having it for rasam rice. You won't blieve this combo is my "fever-time-diet" all through my childood days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh these look mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, finally here I am (red-faced) to admit to being the pushy friend --
    I'm sure your spicy masala did the trick as usual!

    I'm glad you enjoyed them in spite of my stubborn streak :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.