Now to the recipe of the day,
When I soak beans for making a curry I usually soak about 1/2 cup extra to use it for a quick stir fry for the lunch box or add it to curries to give some extra taste. I was planning to make some idly upma for lunch box but realized there were not as many idlies as I would have liked. It is for these kind of situations that the soaked beans sitting in the fridge comes in handy. The combination of idlies and beans along with the potatoes ended up being a tasty treat. Not much in the way of recipe but an idea that can be expanded upon.
Spiced Idly with Rajma and Potatoes
Baking Time:20 minutes
- 1 cup of cooked Red Kidney Beans (Rajma)
- 1 Potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4-5 day old Idlies
- 1/2 cup of finely diced onions
- 2 tsp of sambhar powder or slightly less quantity red chili powder or use about 6-8 slit green chilies
- Salt to taste
- seasonings: mustard and split urad dal - 1/2 tsp and curry leaves
- 1 tsp of oil
- Cook the red beans and let it drain.
- In a wide mouthed pan or kadai heat oil and the urad dal and when it starts to turn brown add the cumin seeds and then the curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they get translucent.
- Add the potatoes and saute for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle about half a tbsp of water, cover and cook for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the sambhar powder and salt half way and give a good mix. Let the potatoes cook completely.
- Now add the drained beans and mix it well.
- Crumble the idly and add them to the mix and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Check for salt.
Like what you are reading? Subscribe!